I am happy to announce that we finally have a year's supply of food! We do not have all the grains (since they didn't have them at the cannery when we were there the other day), but that's calculated for 7 adults, and we are not that yet. So, I think we have made it. I still plan on getting the other 250 pounds of wheat at the next opportunity. We now can start adding more of the other things, like carrots and apples and such.
I heard on Sunday that if we want to get to the cannery in the next 4-6 months, we need to schedule a time now since they are full for the next few months. Something must be going on!!! A couple of Sundays ago, there was a man giving a talk and he mentioned how he is a Home Teacher to someone who works in the cannery. The brother that works in the cannery had told him that if he doesn't have his year's supply now, he probably will not be able to get it. I don't think it will be because they will run out of food, but because it will be too hard to get in enough to get what you need. It took us at least 4 trips to get all that we have, and we spent a lot of money each time. This last time, they did not have all that we ordered there at the time. They have plenty of wheat (so there's not too much need for panic) but it is being stored in the silos. It needs to be put into bags and shipped to the canneries, and that takes time.
If you don't have much by way of grains and beans, I suggest looking into local farmers. I heard that a group of women here got into contact with a local farmer and are buying a few bushels of wheat from him. You can store this in the 5 gallon buckets, and if you use dry ice (and do it the right way with the super sealer lid) it will store like that for a long time. I am thinking that I might need to do that to get my last 250 pounds of grains. I might even try to find some corn tat I can turn into corn meal when I want to use it.
I urge all of you who do not have it, to try to get your food storage in order. If you can not make it to the cannery, then at least buy a few extra cans of goods at the grocery store and start storing that stuff. You should probably have about a 3 months supply of those kinds of foods if you can. I don't know if we do or not, but we have a lot. I have also been stocking up on the shortening and oils, since those are important. I also have a good supply of things like baking powder, salt, baking soda, yeast, etc. that are important for cooking/baking. These are things that aren't too hard to stock up on if you buy three after you use one. The checkers look at me funny when buy 6 cans of baking powder, 5 cans of salt and 4 boxes of baking soda. I even get comments like, "You doing a lot of baking?" I just say, "Yeah," and smile. That is what I plan on doing with it, though not all today! hehehe.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment