Jonathan spent a lot of time on Sunday afternoon and Monday afternoon making a FHE lesson for the family. It was a "Scripture Person Match-Up Game." It had a list of people from the scriptures with a scripture next to them. We had to look up the scripture and see what the thing was that thy did. He had Joseph Smith, Nephi, Daniel, Korihor, Moroni, Pilate, Mormon, Noah, Jonah, Laban, Samuel, Cain and Moses. It was really cute. We did have to change a couple of the verses, but over all he did a wonderful job. I helped him type it up and get it printed and I also helped to show him how to look up scriptures about people (using the Topical Guide and Bible Dictionary). If I can ever figure out how to do it, I might even get a copy of it up here... but with dial up still, hmmm. That will probably change soon though.
We are doing a summer reading program through the OKC library system. If the child reads 8 books, 8 hours, or 800 pages they get a prize an get entered into a drawing. Well, both Jonathan and Matthew have read, or been read to, for 8 hours in only one week. Rachel will have read 8 books in one week too. Matthew was going for the 8 book thing and was over half done on the first day. I told him that he needed to do 8 hours instead. I have told them that if they read that much every week this summer I would buy each of them a new book. They are excited. And, they don't know what the prizes are or what the drawings are for either. It will be fun. I started reading the Chronicles of Narnia with them (that was about 3 hours of their 8 hours of reading). We finished "The Magician's Nephew" yesterday and they loved it. We will be getting the next one from the library to start reading. We have all of the books but the 2nd and the 7th ones. I am hoping to get my children to be much better readers during the summer this year. I think this is a great program they have set up and I hope the kids stay excited about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That's great! We need to take a trip up to the library soon to get some fun books to read! Good ideas! That sounds like a fun FHE lesson. I would love to see it if you had time to post it!
Post a Comment