A couple of weeks ago Dave and I decided that we would go ahead and homeschool our children next year. We found a program that we will use that is actually a public virtual school. It uses the k12 curriculum program, which is supposedly a really good curriculum. There will be a teacher that is assigned to us to be in charge of the curriculum and making sure the curriculum works for the kids. My job will be to teach what they assign the kids. By the time the child is in 5th grade, I think they do most of it themselves. So, I anticipate Jonathan being able to do a lot himself this year, even though he is in 4th grade. Jonathan and Matthew will be taking a few classes together to help me out with a few things. They will both be taking the same history, science and Spanish classes. So, I will be able to teach them these together and they will be able to help one another more with those too.
I am really excited about this and hope that I can get the house into order and ready in time for school to start. I am a bit nervous about it, but I think this is the right thing to do, so I know I will be able to do it.
Well, there's also another calling that I have gotten too. So, the homeschooling is my new calling in life, and Primary President is the new calling at church. These both happened around the same time. I am a bit nervous about doing all of it, but I know that the Lord will help me out with both of these things so I don't go nuts! So, as of now, I have not been released from any of my other callings... hopefully that will happen soon. I am still ward organist and I am also helping Dave out in Cub Scouts. I am also doing a volunteer calling (nobody has officially called me to this position) as ward choir pianist. I know that I will get released from the Cub Scouts soon, but the others might take a while longer. I have two wonderful counselors. I am very excited to have this calling and to be working with such wonderful people in the primary. I know it will be a lot of work and I hope that, yet again, I can get organized enough that it is not too big a strain on me.
So, anyone want to come and help me get my house organized? smile.
We had our pressure tank leak last week and soak our living room carpet. I took the shop vac to it and sucked up a lot of water. Then I had a fan blowing on it and the air conditioning turned on to help dehumidify the air. We had to replace the pressure tank and the fixtures attaching it to the water line. It has been leak free for a few days now and I think it will hold. We now need to figure out what to do with the carpet. I think I am really sick now because of it. My asthma has been driving me nuts for the last several days. I had to sleep in the family room last night so I could breathe.
Jonathan, Matthew and Rachel are doing a reading program this summer to get free books from Barnes and Noble. For every 8 books they read, they get a free book (limit of 2 free books). They are pretty good books too. We will probably sign up with the library and do a reading program there too.
Our garden is growing well and we are getting lots of strawberries, rhubarb and green onions right now. We're also using fresh dill and cilantro in things too. I am really excited about our garden this year and hope that I can preserve a lot of things for the winter. Our blackberries will be ripening in another few weeks. I don't think our fruit trees will produce much this year since they are still small. That's one investment that takes a while to pay off. I've tried raised bed gardens this year, and so far they are doing wonderfully.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
There are so many cool stuff you can do just during the school days and cool community programs you can do for homeschool. Even better- you can do "tour" all over America while other kids are stuck at the home because of the school or learning in box (school). Grand Canyon, Mt. Rushmore, visiting Washington D.C. and all of those fun adventures! There are so many good alternatives we can explore while we homeschool our children. My friend who homeschools her children liked to start school at 7 a.m. so kids can have remainder of the afternoon after 1 p.m.
Miss ya and hugs!
Post a Comment